Week 15 Reflective Homework

1. What did you actually learned from the unit.

This week I learned that risk management in healthcare has a few different aspects. It also has a few different steps in the process including risk identification, risk mitigation, and risk financing. I was most interested in the risk identification and risk mitigation because I feel like it is easier for me to participate/understand these aspects of risk management with my current role and experience. 

The team discussion this week proposed a very interesting but unfortunate situation. It provided all of us with an opportunity to identify what potential risks may have lead to the event and what mitigation could/should have taken place that could have prevented such an event. However, out of my group members I feel like I was the most convinced that this nurse provided adequate patient care and that this would have held up in a court of law. Sure, there were things that could probably have gone better. However, with such unfortunate circumstances, I think this nurse probably still would have been okay in the long run. 

As I am working, I will try to identify protocol/practices that could fuel unwanted risks. I can work to communicate with members of leadership if there seems to be something that could potentially cause harm to myself, staff, or patients. I also think it is important to remember that adequate charting is SO important. I know nurses LOVE to complain about charting, but unfortunately it is the best evidence that we are doing our parts as nurses to communicate with others and to keep our patients safe. 

4. You personal feelings about the material covered.

I wish that legal action wasn’t such a threat to health care workers, although I do recognize that it is sometimes necessary.