Week 12 Reflective Journal

1. What did you actually learned from the unit.

I learned a lot about conflict resolution. I learned about effective communication strategies during conflicts and the importance of being a good listener. I also learned a lot about collective bargaining. This was a new topic to me. 

I enjoyed the discussion about the difference between assertive and aggressive communication. I am a pretty passive person, and I avoid conflict as much as possible. I think for me, this discussion emphasized that it is okay to be assertive when it is necessary. I also thought the group exam provided very interesting ethical dilemmas to be discussed.  

I can utilize the information learned in my nursing practice by applying conflict resolution methods and strategies as conflicts arise at work. I can learn to be more assertive when there is a conflict. I believe in doing so, I can reduce the risk of coming off aggressive. If I hesitate to be assertive, I may let problems go on too long until I explode and become aggressive. I can also encourage others to handle their own conflicts in a professional and appropriate manner. 

4. You personal feelings about the material covered.

I feel like conflict resolution is an important and difficult part of leadership. As a manager or leader, I feel like you are faced with difficult conflicts. Many of which have been escalated to you because individuals have been unable to resolve these conflicts on their own. Understanding effective approaches to conflict resolution and being able to facilitate effective communication is a vital part of being a leader.