Week 11 Reflective Journal

1. What did you actually learned from the unit.

I thought strategic planning was an interesting topic to include in the leadership course. Initially, as we had discussions and assignments focusing on education systems, I was trying to figure out what strategic planning was all about and how it relates to leadership positions. After completing the course readings, I realized that strategic planning is essentially any well thought out approach of an organization working towards fulfilling their goal or mission. 

It was interesting to see what types of Masters degree programs my colleagues were interested in. I thought the discussion prompt actually offered a lot of insight into what considerations must be made for an organization to make a big investment in something such as a MSN program (clinical sites, programs in the state, etc.). I wish we had more time to plan or explore some of the activities for this week, because I feel like there were a lot of learning opportunities and considerations.

I think this unit offered a lot of insight into the careful planning that goes into the organizations I am a part of. Whether it is the hospital I work at or the school I attend, there are people hopefully working hard to implement strategic planning. 

4. You personal feelings about the material covered.

I feel like it is important to have this insight, even if it is limited, into the planning that is required of leaders.