Reflective Journal Week 10

1. What did you actually learned from the unit.

This unit taught me a lot about managing change for myself but also as a leader. I had never heard of Kotter’s eight steps to change, and I found this to be very interesting. I learned that successful leaders should put a lot of thought and planning into implementing change in order to make change as painless as possible. I learned that I have actually seen leadership use several of these steps in the past, I just never knew what design they were following. I also learned quite a bit about myself and my attitudes in regards to dealing with change. 

The group discussion this week was actually really interesting. I feel like many of us had the same general ideas. We were mostly Haws, although we may have been more like other characters at different points in our lives. We all recognize that change is something that is necessary to progress in life and to happy. Nothing good will come out of waiting around for things to return to the way they were before. However, I feel like each one of our team members also got their own message from this little video. One person mentioned the need to embrace change while still being a person that is reliable for loved ones. Another individual had some insightful comments about the writings on the wall. This made me realize that the message and the story is the same for all of us, but we may have different parts stand out depending on our own experiences or situations. 

One thing that was discussed in our group was the impact an individual’s attitude about change can have. Not only can attitude about change impact your own success and happiness, but it can also have a big impact on others around us. It sometimes feels like change is constant at work. I have seen co-workers get tired of change. People start to grumble and complain. They do not take action and embrace change, but rather sit like Hem and wait for someone to change their mind about a new policy, new charting expectations, etc. I think if individuals on a unit make a point to try to embrace change, it can actually drastically alter the way other people will view the changes. 

4. You personal feelings about the material covered.

I felt like this unit was a great opportunity to reflect on my own attitudes about change. I feel like everyone experiences change differently. Some individuals may seek change and others may reject or resent change. I think one of the best things we can do is to be honest with ourselves. I think it is important that I am able to recognize and reflect on my own experiences with change in order to navigate the cheese maze of life.