Week 9 Reflective Journal

1. What did you actually learned from the unit.

I actually really enjoyed learning about and discussing different scheduling methods. Because I do not work on a typical nursing floor, it was interesting and insightful to learn more about scheduling for other units. 

The team activity in which we discussed which scheduling system was the best was very insightful! I do not always get a chance to discuss the pros and cons of scheduling strategies, so that was very educational! The team discussion in which we discussed our career goals made me realize something. A few of my team members have a 5 year plan lined out and know exactly what they want to do and how they need to get there. The majority of my team members are in a similar boat as me. Even though I am a year into my career, I feel like I am such a new nurse. I have so many experiences and opportunities ahead of me, that I am honestly having a hard time choosing and sticking to a career path for my future. I think the most important thing for many of us right now is to learn as much as we can and to remain open to new ideas, responsibilities, and experiences.

If I chose to stay in the unit I am currently working in, there is a pretty good chance I will accept a leadership position as soon as I finish my BSN. Part of this leadership position includes overseeing scheduling, so this unit provided some introductory information that may be useful to me in the future! If I chose to accept the shock-trauma ICU position, I will have a big change in schedule. It was nice to get some insight into other scheduling methods. It was also useful/stressful to think about my ultimate career goal as I attempt to make this decision. 

4. You personal feelings about the material covered.

This week made me very grateful for the schedule and scheduling system that I have now. I realized so many units have consistent issues with employee schedules. I feel lucky to be part of a unit in which I have very few, if any, complaints about my schedule.