Week 7 Reflective Journal

1. What did you actually learned from the unit.

I learned the basics about budgeting. I also learned about internal and external time wasters as well as appropriate delegation. I learned time management and appropriate delegation can impact a department’s budget. I also learned that priority setting is the most critical skill in time management. 

I think the best thing about the team activity this week is it really depended on collaboration. Because most of us were not familiar with the budgeting spread sheet before this module, we needed to rely on each other to figure out potential solutions. 

I will utilize the information covered this week by being aware of budgeting concerns in my own department. Budget is something that is discussed in our department meetings on a regular basis. I think being more involved or aware of budget goals or challenges can help me better understand budgeting for healthcare as a whole. I think it is important to understand the basics of budgeting so that we are able to contribute as employees. 

4. You personal feelings about the material covered.

I learned that budgeting is my worst nightmare. My dad is a Chief Financial Officer. His entire job is budgeting big companies. Growing up, I would listen to him work and think “I never want to do that”. I believe I could be very good at budgeting for a department if I had to. I just have no desire to ever have that responsibility. I also learned it is hard to budget for a department or company that you are not actively involved in the day-to-day operations.