Performance Appraisal Interview

I interviewed Dr. Carter (Dentist) for this assignment. He owns a dental practice in Salt Lake City where I used to work. This was an interesting interview for me because I worked for him for many years, so I knew a lot about his process of evaluations already. With small businesses/companies, I think it is much more common for performance appraisals to be less organized or formal. Comparing my experience working for Intermountain and his dentist office makes it apparent why this is the case. In a small setting, Dr. Carter literally always knew what I was doing. He could easily assess my performance and I often got feedback throughout each shift. It was not uncommon for him to recognize when I was doing a good job or to show me how to be faster or more effective. He had very high expectations of his employees but also provided plenty of rewards for our performance. We got pedicures once a month as an office and got to go on a paid vacation once a year if we met all of our goals. Working at intermountain, there are many more employees to keep track of. With a bigger setting, it is not always as easy to give or receive feedback on a regular basis. Because of this, I think it is important to have a formal performance evaluation. 

Here are answers from the interview: 

1. What criteria scale do you use for performance appraisals?

“We are still deciding on how to conduct our performance appraisals, as you probably noticed. We have tried a few different approaches but we do not have a formal criteria scale we are sticking to currently”

2. How long do your evaluations typically last?

“About 30 minutes for each employee.”

3. Do you include peer evaluations? Why or why not?

“No. I feel like we work closely enough with each of our employees to gather the information we need to analyze their performance. If an individual has a concern or would like to recognize another employee they have the chance to do so during their evaluation”

4. How frequently do you hold performance appraisals?

“Formally, once a year. I tend to meet or check in with most of our employees at least 2-3 times a year.”

5. How do your performance appraisals tie into determining salary raises for your employees?

“Typically we have an idea ahead of time how much a salary will be raised for an employee. This is something that will be discussed at the conclusion of the performance appraisal.” 

6. Do you provide an opportunity for employees to express concerns about their performance or growth prior to beginning a formal evaluation?

“I like to think that employees feel like they can approach me on a regular basis to express concerns.”

7. Do you feel like your current protocol for performance appraisals have lead to stronger relationships between you and your employees?

“I think any time I spend with an employee discussing their strengths, weaknesses, and contributions can lead to stronger relationships. I feel like employees would benefit from having a more set experience for performance appraisals so they know what to expect”

8. How do you organize your performance appraisals with so many employees?

“This isn’t really an issue since the staff is relatively small. The most challenging part is just setting aside time for these since we run such a busy schedule.”

9. What are some positive outcomes you see from conducting performance appraisals?

“I like to make sure our employees know I appreciate how much they each contribute to our team. I think performance interviews are a great time to communicate this.”

10. Are there any negative outcomes you see from conducting performance appraisals?

“I have to give raises. Our employees definitely earn them and I like to please my employees but it is money I have to wave goodbye to. Actually negative outcomes? There is always a chance someone could take any critique or feedback very personally.”

11. What role does goal setting and accomplishment play when it comes to evaluating your employees’ performance?

“We mostly focus on goals as a team. Each of our employees definitely pull their weight to reach our team goals.”

12. How do you handle underperforming or problematic employees?

“I usually have Wendy (his wife/office manager) deal with problematic people. She is much better at dealing with problems without upsetting people. If there is someone underperforming on a regular basis they aren’t around long”