Week 5 Reflective Journal

1. What did you actually learned from the unit.

I thought the lectures this week contained a lot of useful and interesting information! I learned to never discipline an employee on a Friday and that it is okay to be average in your evaluations (especially as a new nurse who has limited experience!!). I also learned about the importance of having a second person present for any type of discipline and why it is important to ensure adequate preparation has been completed prior to confronting an employee about an issue. 

I thought the team activity about dealing with a “problem employee” was beneficial. The scenario discussed brought up a lot of thoughts about when it is appropriate to discipline an employee. It also made it apparent that it may sometimes be difficult to discipline an employee because of things you know about them personally. For example, this specific employee was a widowed single mother of six children. I think a lot of people have empathy and understanding for reasons why she may not be volunteering to pick up shifts. In this scenario, the importance of the department policy is very evident. 

I did not like the discussion about the “greatest leader of all time”. I feel like it is important to identify characteristics or strengths of great leaders. However, there are so many great leaders it is hard to pick one specifically. I feel like it would have almost been more beneficial if students were asked about their best boss/manager ever and what strengths they would draw from them, or what they may do differently. 

I can utilize this information by being aware of my department policies and the expectations my unit has for me. I think I can also be more prepared for the employee evaluations in order to get more out of the time I have to reflect on my own performance with a member of the department leadership. 

4. You personal feelings about the material covered.

I feel like this week gave me a lot of good insight into the roles and responsibilities of the leaders on my unit at work. I have a greater appreciation for the work they do and for the time they spend to meet with their employees for evaluations!